intdiv stands for integer division. This function returns the integer quotient of the division of the given dividend and divisor. This function internally removes the remainder from the dividend to make it evenly divisible by the divisor and returns the quotient after division.
int intdiv($dividend, $divisor)
Parameters: The function takes two parameters as follows:
- $dividend: This signed integer parameter refers to the number to be divided.
- $divisor: This signed integer parameter refers to the number to be used as the divisor.
Return Type: This function returns the quotient calculated.
Input : $dividend = 5, $divisor = 2 Output : 2 Input : $dividend = -11, $divisor = 2 Output : -5
Exception/Error:: The function raises exception in following cases:
- If we pass the divisor as 0, then the function raises DivisionByZeroError exception.
- If we pass PHP_INT_MIN as the dividend and -1 as the divisor, then an ArithmeticError exception is thrown.
Below program illustrates the working of intdiv in PHP:
After Seeing so far many may think that this function is equivalent to
but the example will elaborate the difference.
Important points to note:
- intdiv() Function returns the quotient of integer division.
- The function may raise exceptions thus the developer has to tackle edge cases.
- The function is not equivalent to the floor function applied to the float division or ‘/’.