We strongly recommend to refer below post as a prerequisite of this.
- Image Processing in Java | Set 1 (Read and Write)
- Image Processing In Java | Set 2 (Get and set Pixels)
In this set we will be converting a coloured image to greyscale image.
Note(Think intuitively): In a greyscale image the Alpha component of the image will be same as the original image, but the RGB wil be changed i.e, all three RGB components will be having a same value for each pixels.
- Get the RGB value of the pixel.
- Find the average of RGB i.e., Avg = (R+G+B)/3
- Replace the R, G and B value of the pixel with average (Avg) calculated in step 2.
- Repeat Step 1 to Step 3 for each pixels of the image.
Implementation of the above algorithm:
Note : This code will not run on online IDE as it needs an image on disk.
In the next set we will be learning how to convert a colored image to negative image in JAVA.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.