Broadband system use modulation techniques to reduce the effect of noise in the environment. Broadband transmission employs multiple channel unidirectional transmission using combination of phase and amplitude modulation.
Baseband is a digital signal is transmitted on the medium using one of the signal codes like NRZ, RZ Manchester biphase-M code etc. is called baseband transmission.
These are following differences between Broadband and Baseband transmission.
Baseband transmission –
- Digital signalling.
- Frequency division multiplexing is not pssible.
- Baseband is bi-directional transmission.
- Short distance signal travelling.
- Entire bandwidth is for single signal transmission.
- Example: Ethernet is using Basebands for LAN.
Broadband transmission –
- Analog signalling.
- Transmission of data is unidirectional.
- Signal travelling distance is long.
- Frequency division multiplexing possible.
- Simultaneous transmission of multiple signals over different frequencies.
- Example : Used to transmit cable TV to premises.