You are given a function foo() that represents a biased coin. When foo() is called, it returns 0 with 60% probability, and 1 with 40% probability. Write a new function that returns 0 and 1 with 50% probability each. Your function should use only foo(), no other library method.
We know foo() returns 0 with 60% probability. How can we ensure that 0 and 1 are returned with 50% probability?
The solution is similar to this post. If we can somehow get two cases with equal probability, then we are done. We call foo() two times. Both calls will return 0 with 60% probability. So the two pairs (0, 1) and (1, 0) will be generated with equal probability from two calls of foo(). Let us see how.
(0, 1): The probability to get 0 followed by 1 from two calls of foo() = 0.6 * 0.4 = 0.24
(1, 0): The probability to get 1 followed by 0 from two calls of foo() = 0.4 * 0.6 = 0.24
So the two cases appear with equal probability. The idea is to return consider only the above two cases, return 0 in one case, return 1 in other case. For other cases [(0, 0) and (1, 1)], recur until you end up in any of the above two cases.
The below program depicts how we can use foo() to return 0 and 1 with equal probability.
This article is compiled by Shashank Sinha and reviewed by GeeksforGeeks team. Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article and mail your article to [email protected] See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
This article is attributed to GeeksforGeeks.org